Whether you look forward to winter, or spend the season wrapped in sweaters eagerly anticipating the warmth of summer, we all can agree that winter has its moments. The Danish term Hygge (pronounced hyoo – guh) is defined as “a quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that spawns a feeling of contentment or well-being.” We believe that winter embodies this spirit more than any other season.
There are numerous winter activities that can nurture both body and soul, indoors and out, and here are ten activities that can warm you to your core, literally and figuratively:
- Nothing can surpass a cup of hot chocolate (or a hot toddy) on a cold winter’s night, and even better if you have a fireplace to sit next to and a favorite book in hand or on your Kindle.
- A faux fur throw, or a warm, cuddly blanket will comfort your entire being, inside and out, especially if coupled with the aforementioned drink, fireplace, and book.
- Host a karaoke night with friends or challenge them with a good board game. Winter is the perfect night to gather indoors and celebrate friendship and togetherness.
- Warm your kitchen, stomach, and heart by cooking a robust winter meal alone or as a group. Some deliciously healthy winter vegetables include carrots, fennel, kale, leeks and sweet potatoes.
- Bake some homemade bread, cookies, or cake, as a family, for your family, or for yourself or friends. For a healthy swap, use monk fruit instead of sugar. It doesn’t affect blood sugar and is anti-inflammatory!
- Indulge in a long, hot bath, with or without bath salts or bubbles. Studies show that people who take regular baths had reduced stress, fatigue, and felt happier.
- Make snow angels or have a gentle snowball fight. Embracing our inner child and engaging in spontaneous playful activities takes us out of our day-to-day lives and brings us fully present into the now.
- Spend some time on the slopes either skiing or snowboarding. Not only will the cold weather invigorate you, but it’s a great way to burn calories. And you can head to the lodge after and get cozy inside.
- Skip the iPad or television for the afternoon and choose activities that foster togetherness such as sledding, ice skating, or snowshoeing.
- Indulge in a dog sled ride or a horse-drawn sleigh ride where the pristine snow, total quiet, and serene surroundings will provide you with a lifelong memory. Researchers have shown that being out in nature reduces stress and cultivates serenity.
Whether you choose to remain indoors, snuggle up with your significant other, or engage in an outdoor winter adventure, remember to show your skin some love at the end of the day. Mitigate the effects of drying indoor heat, frigid outdoor temperatures, and winter winds by using a gentle cleanser such as our Soothing Active Cleansing Milk. Formulated with glycerin, green algae, and brown seaweed, your skin will be gently cleansed of makeup and impurities, protected from environmental stressors, smoothed, and revitalized.
Alternatively, try Vie de Mer Paris’ Collagen Renewal Cleansing Milk, which boasts the added nourishing benefits of collagen, elastin, jojoba, and avocado oils. These ingredients provide a somewhat deeper cleansing experience, visible increased firmness, calmed and revitalized skin, and a noticeable youthful glow.
Soothing Active Cleansing Milk
Collagen Renewal Cleansing Milk
But don’t stop there! Continue your skincare regimen with the all-important moisturizing step. Vie de Mer offers six different moisturizer formulations, each one serving a variety of skin types and concerns. Check them out here to find the product best suited to your needs.
So, to all the summer-loving, not-so-fond-of-winter folks out there and those who do love the season but are at a loss as to how to make the most of it, may this article shine sufficient light on the nurturing possibilities of winter to allow you to enjoy the season fully!